Tea tree oil is extracted from the narrow leaves of Melaleuca Alternifolia, a native to the northeast coast of New South Wales, Australia. Commonly used to treat many health and beauty problems, tea tree oil naturally soothes itchy scalp and prevents many hair problems such as dandruff, baldness, psoriasis, and even head lice. Tea tree oil for hair is a great alternative to chemical-filled and artificial hair care products. It is an herb that reduces hair loss and, instead, promotes hair growth.
How to use tea tree oil for hair to reduce hair loss and maintain healthy hair
Using tea tree oil for hair is an easy and effective way to maintain healthy hair and a healthy scalp. You can apply tea tree oil for hair in many ways, by simply massaging the oil onto your scalp or adding a few drops to your favorite shampoo.
For daily cleansing
You can easily make your own tea tree oil shampoo at home by adding a few drops of tea tree oil to your favorite shampoo. Apply the mixture to the scalp and gently massage for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
For hair growth
Tea tree oil helps to unclog hair follicles and nourish your roots. Mix few drops of tea tree oil with any oil like coconut, jojoba or almond. Mix it well and massage the mixture onto the scalp. Rinse thoroughly. The mixture should feel refreshing and will have a tingling effect on your scalp.
For soft and smooth hairs
Tea tree oil can also be mixed with olive oil to add softness, smoothness and to add a protective layer that will be resistant to toxins and will help to promote hair growth. To prepare, warm olive oil for a few seconds and mix in 3-5 drops of tea tree oil. Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair at least once a day for 3 weeks.
For dry scalp
Tea tree oil for hair is amazing for your dry scalp as it moisturizes and nourishes your scalp and hair. It helps to clear the blockages in the pores and helps to prevent dryness and itching. Take a few drops of tea tree oil and mix it well with jojoba oil. Massage the mixture gently onto your scalp for 10-15 minutes. Rinse out thoroughly and wash your hair as normal. Repeat this process regularly to relieve any symptoms associated with dry scalp.
Tea tree oil contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that fight against the fungus that causes dandruff, and does so without drying your scalp. Tea tree oil for hair works as a natural conditioner to your hair and eliminates any agents that are causing your skin to flake. Simply add tea tree oil to your existing shampoo, about 10 drops for every 250 ml of shampoo in the bottle. Shampoo your hair thoroughly and allow the tea tree oil mixture to sit on your hair for at least 3-5 minutes. After the oil has set, rinse the shampoo from your hair thoroughly.
Hot oil treatment
Tea tree oil for hair can be added to any of your favorite hot oil treatments to add moisture to your scalp and help to treat dryness or itchiness. Choose any oil such as jojoba, olive, sesame, castor, almond or coconut oil. Add 1-2 drops of tea tree oil to ½ cup of oil depending on dryness or oiliness of your hair. Warm your oil mixture by heating plain water on the stove. Wait until the water is just about to boil and remove the pot from the stove. Put the oil mixture in a separate container and place it in the warm water until the oil warms up. Test the oil on your wrist first to check the temperature, making sure it is not too hot. Carefully massage the mixture into your scalp and coat through to your ends. Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap and let the oil treatment sit on your hair for at least 30 minutes. Shampoo and condition as normal.
Tips to use tea tree oil for hair
- It’s important to dilute tea tree oil with another oil prior to applying it on the hair as it can cause irritation, itchiness, and dryness when applied directly.
- Tea tree oil may not be effective for all hair types.
- Tea tree oil should not be swallowed nor used orally.
- Some may be allergic to tea tree oil, causing redness or irritation. Always apply a small quantity as a patch test. If nothing happens, use it in proper proportion for healthy hair.
- Always apply tea tree oil in the right way with the right quantity or proportions for proper hair growth. If used incorrectly, the oil may have the reverse effects, making hair extremely brittle and weak.
- Tea tree oil will not increase facial hair growth.
- Tea tree oil not only helps hair growth and other issues, but also treats many skin problems like relief from razor burns, acne reduction, and wart and ringworm removal. It can also help with respiratory problems, such as sore throat, cough, asthma, and bronchitis, and can strengthen the immune system.